Friday, March 18, 2011

Peppermint Penguin Package

Say that three times fast!  LOL!

My daughter's Kindergarten class is having a pajama party today, and each student was to take a small gift that starts with a "p" for a gift exchange.  She wanted to take a penguin.  Well, seeing that we had less than an hour to try to find a penguin before her gymnastics class last night, I immediately thought of decorating a "p"eppermint "p"atty with a "p"unched "p"enguin.  She liked the idea.  Except for the peppermint patty part.

O.k.  Then what to decorate with a penguin?  While we were at the store, she decided she wanted to use a roll of breath mints.  Those were peppermint, and they would work just fine.

So she gets dropped off at gymnastics and I was left to figure the whole penguin thing out.  Not that I minded.  It meant I got to play and not feel guilty about it!

Without further ado, meet Mr. Penguin...

Isn't he the cutest?  And so simple to make.  Nestabilites ovals and a few punches for all the parts, huge googly eyes, and he's done!

I made the box to hold two rolls of mints, and it wasn't hard to do even without a template.  I just put the rolls of mints on my scor-buddy and scored where I needed the folds.  The box turned out to be 3/4" x 1 5/8" x 2 3/4".

Here he is from the back side.

A perfect fit!

The penguin was attached to the box with a loop of blue painter's tape so he could be removed and saved by the recipient if they wanted.

M was very happy with my little creation, which made me very happy because she can be quite picky.  I hope her classmate likes it too.

Supplies for penguin:
Paper - basic black, pumpkin pie, GKD PL white
Accessories - Nestabilities ovals (body); Boho Blossoms (feet), Blossom Petals (wings), and small oval (beak) punches; googly eyes

Supplies for box:
Paper - basic black
Accessories - ScorBuddy, corner rounder, 5/8" circle punch, red line tape

K

3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, this is amazing. I'm impressed at your speedy creativity :)

scrapping my heart out said...

He is soooo flippin adorable!!!! I am impressed with how quickly you can think creatively, and VERY creatively at that. I made a foam copic shelf, and I love it! Thanks for all the advice you offer here on your blog!!

Amanda said...

Oh I love this idea, now I just need to figure out a Bunny so I can do this for Easter....