Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Christmas in January (No, I'm not kidding!)

I have some cards made that I could have posted today, but I ended up going through a box of random stamps that I had purchased as a lot on e-bay a couple years ago and made a couple new cards.  Every once in a while I find something in there I want to keep, and since my 'style' is still evolving, stamps I would never think of using become just what I was looking for.  My purchase gets more valuable every time I go through that box!

I came across the complete set of SU's Holiday Blocks that has been retired for a while now, and I managed to use every image on these two cards.

I really like the purposeful random placement of the squares on this one.  (How's that for an oxymoron?)  I was able to triangulate the images even though there are five squares.  There is good flow and color balance, and that makes me very happy.  I do wish the holly image was a little closer to the left edge.  It's funny what a difference 1/8" would make.

Supplies:
Stamps - Holiday Blocks, Hero Arts Holiday Sayings
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Riding Hood Red, Old Olive, Memento tuxedo black


Here is my second card before.  Before what, you ask?

The SMUDGE!  I was stamping my last word - joy - and noticed a big black thumbprint on the front of the card.  It doesn't look that noticeable here, but you could definitely see it IRL.

UGH!!!

I finished stamping the word, and salvaged the card by cutting the images and sentiments into a panel which I popped up on another card base.

Disaster avoided!  I kinda like it better, anyway!

These images were first inked in Versamark, then in colored inks so the Dazzling Diamonds could be used.  This is a great technique for adding sparkle to your project, and this card really sparkles.

I used my SAMJ in conjunction with a quilting ruler (thanks, Susan, aka LateBlossom for that tip) for placement of the images and words.  Those are two of my most valuable tools.

Supplies:
Stamps - Holiday Blocks, Hero Arts Holiday Sayings
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Versamark, Razzleberry, Daffodil, Pacific Point, Memento tuxedo black
Accessories - Dazzling Diamonds EP, heat tool, dimensionals, SAMJ

Another reason I wanted to stamp some Christmas cards is to help clear out my new stamp basket.  The Hero Arts sentiment set was part of my clearance purchase a couple weeks ago (it was 75% off!), and I couldn't wait until Christmas to use it.  So far this system is working well for me.  It has pushed me to used stamps that would otherwise get lost in the rest of my rubber.

My challenge for you is to find a stamp set you think isn't your style, and use it to make a card or two.  My two cards today are proof that you might just make something you like.

Have a great day!

K

4 comments:

Lisa Lara said...

Oh these look wonderful K. I love the random stamp style on the first one. Wow. Neat. Hi gf. How are you? Wish we lived closer.

Anonymous said...

You could trim off 1/8" from the left side of the card to make the holly closer to the edge.

Susan Raihala said...

Both of these are wonderfully fun and colorful! Love the random on the first and how you saved the second. It was great as one layer but smudges happen!

Julie said...

These are both GREAT cards! I think the holly is good where it is on the first card. I like the balance of it! Love the bright fun colors you used on both too!