Friday, April 15, 2011

My New Toy and a Yoga Headband

I am so excited to finally own something I have wanted for a loooong time.  You know how I have been doing other crafts besides making cards?  Like sewing?  Well, I finally splurged and bought myself a serger!

Woohoo!

I have so many projects and things I want to make, I can hardly contain myself.  And Joann's Daffodil Dash sale this month hasn't helped.  Well, I guess it has helped me save some money, unless you don't count spending money to save money as saving.

Here she is...

Isn't she purty?

And wait 'til you see what I just made with her...a Yoga Headband.  I got a remnant of rayon/spandex for next to nothing, and made up my own pattern after studying a headband I paid about $12 for.

Here is a tutorial on how I made it.

Yoga Headband

supplies needed:
remnant of stretch knit fabric at least 4" wide
serger (if you don't have one, a zigzag stitch will work)
sewing machine
thread
pins

I cut my fabric 4" x 19" to allow for a seam allowance.  It ended up a little loose on my head, but I'd rather have it too loose than too tight!  It still has stretch and will hold my hair out of my face.

With right sides together, serge the seam.  (This doesn't look as good as the first one I made, but it will be hidden anyway!)  If you don't have a serger, zigzag the seam to allow for a little stretch.

Turn edges to wrong side, one edge about 1/3 of the width, and the other edge about 1/4 of the width.

Now take the smaller turned edge and fold over again.  Pin in place.

With a regular sewing machine, sew in the ditch of the seam on the right side of the headband.

That's it!  Easy as pie!

I chose to leave the edges unfinished, but you could certainly hem them with a coverstitch if you have that option on your serger.

I can't wait to make more of these in different colors.  They are so comfy and so easy to make!  And by my calculations, this headband cost only $0.25 to make.  How's that for the deal of the century?

K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was so helpful!! To think I wanted to waste my money on a lululemon one PShhhhh I can make my own! Thank you!!