Friday, May 13, 2011

Inspired

I picked up a copy of Paper Crafts Card Creations the other day, and was inspired by this card by Vanessa Menhorn.

My inspiration came from her use of the patterned paper.  I am always looking for ways to use mine (before I decide to lose it!), and the large panel of patterned paper Vanessa used really spoke to me.  I could use a good chunk of paper, much better than just scraps, and the layout would be a cinch.

Here is my card.

I love how it turned out!  Even though it looks like there is a lot going on, it really is a simple card.

For the flower, I crumpled the paper after it was punched out, then tore it into two layers.  I continued to crumple each layer while gently rolling the edges, and assembled the flower with the inside layers showing.  This gives the flower a lot of texture and brings it to life.

Supplies:
Stamps - Warmest Regards
Paper - Real Red, Old Olive, Bella Rose DSP, GKD PL white
Ink - Real Red
Accessories - Fancy Flower XL punch, Little Leaves Sizzlets, Big Shot, button, linen thread

Thanks, Vanessa, for the inspiration!

On a side note, I have been doing a lot of spring cleaning.  Deep cleaning.  Well, not real cleaning, more like purging.  The cleaning will come after the purge.  I am on a mission to get rid of everything we don't use/need/want, and it feels so good.  I was very successful selling a ton of unused craft items at our garage sale last weekend.  I have decided it isn't worth it to try to sell all my retired SU inks, etc., so I will be donating them to the school.  I know the kids will get a lot of use out of them, and I won't have to deal with selling and shipping them.  It's a win-win!

I have been feeling overwhelmed by all the stuff (read clutter) we have accumulated in the 4 years we have been in this house (some of it has been around for much longer), and decided to do something about it.  I have been reading Simplicity Parenting by Payne.  If you are feeling overwhelmed by all the choices that face you and your children, feel stressed by trying to fit everything into the day, are overscheduled and not overjoyed, you should check out this book.  It will help you simplify your children's lives which in turn will simplify yours.  And I'm all about simple.

Hope you have a great spring weekend!

K

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Love your interpretation Karen. Gives me an idea on what to do with some leftover DSP.