Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rhubarb Crisp

It is that time of year.  My rhubarb was one of the first things to poke up out of the ground this spring, and I was beside myself with joy.  You see, I grew up with rhubarb in my Granddad's garden, and my parent's garden, but this is the first time I have ever grown it in my own garden.  Watching it come up after its first dormant winter was a good thing.



Rhubarb is one of those foods that you either like or don't like.  There is no middle ground.  My son got my rhubarb loving genes, and my daughter got my husband's rhubarb "ew, yuck!" genes.  I don't quite understand my daughters aversion to the sourness.  She can eat dill pickles 'til the cows come home, but balks at the sour taste of rhubarb.  My kids were with me in the garden the other day, and when I said we would be able to make rhubarb cobbler soon, their reactions were quite the opposite.  Ross and I don't mind that they have faulty genes...it just leaves more for us!

Here is my mom's recipe for a quick and easy microwaveable Rhubarb Crisp.

Rhubarb Crisp

2 heaping cups rhubarb cut into 1" pieces
1c sugar
3T flour
Pinch salt
1 egg

In a medium bowl, beat the egg well.  Mix in sugar, flour, and salt. Add rhubarb and stir to coat the pieces.  Let stand while preparing crisp topping.

Crisp Topping

2/3 c flour
1/2 c quick oats
1/4 c chopped nuts (optional)
3T brown sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 c butter

Combine dry ingredients.  Cut in butter.

Put rhubarb mixture in a microwaveable 8x8 dish.  (I dare you not to eat a piece of rhubarb coated in sugary yumminess!)  Top with crisp topping.  Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes.  Serve slightly warm.


Now you could add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some fresh whipped cream if you want, but I don't want anything to interfere with the sweet/sour combination of rhubarb and crisp.  Speaking of sweet, as I was just typing the recipe, I realized I left out the brown sugar when I made this yesterday.  I thought it tasted a little different, but it was still delicious.


As you can see.

If you must lick your plate, make sure your kids don't see you do it!

Enjoy!

K

No comments: