Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Very Large Flower and a Prize

Here is a card I made for the Less is More week 2 challenge.  This time it was to use trees or flowers for the theme on a one layer card.

I stamped the flower in eggplant, then used my aquapainter to pull the color from the image to color the flower.  It was hard to do on regular cardstock for such a large image, and I think using watercolor paper would have been a better option.  I'll make a note of that for the next time I want to try this technique.

It's amazing what a little bling will do to 'make' a card.  All the flower needed was just a touch of Stickles.  Coloring the entire center of the flower would have been too much, but just a little bit gave it just what it needed.

I even managed to use two of my new stamps, so they won't be living in my new basket anymore. Yippee!

Supplies:
Stamps - Hero Arts large flower, PTI Simple Sentiments
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Elegant Eggplant
Accessories - Daffodil marker, aquapainter, Stickles


Our basement is almost entirely cleaned out now.  I still have a few odds and ends to get packed up, and the crew will be here first thing in the morning. 

I have a question for you.  What color would you paint a basement?  Our entire house is Shaker Beige with the exception of the bedrooms, and I don't think I want to do the same color in the basement.  I want more color, but nothing green.  Tell me what you think, and I may just have a prize for you if I use what you suggest!

Toodles,

K

18 comments:

Jessica Wekenman said...

Beautiful card! I love your coloring of the flower! I think a nice shade of Aqua, or pale blue would be pretty and add a little bright and cheeriness to a basement! Can't wait to see what you decide!

Susan Raihala said...

I'd paint it a very pale tint of yellow. Our house in Boise had very pale soft yellow walls with white trim. Art looked good on it, it was happy and cheerful, and I think it would look AWESOME in a basement.

Your card is lovely....I always forget about that technique, and it really is so soft and pretty.

Susan said...

Love the coloring on the flower! Beautiful!

As for painting the basement...I painted my craft room a "niagra blue" and I LOVE it. My black furniture looks great in here. Of course, I really love a soft blue.

Carol said...

I have to agree with Susan R...a pale, warm yellow with white trim is gorgeous and is a very pretty "neutral" that will go with just about any other color as accents. I did my living room, dining room and main hallway in this color 2 houses ago, and I think I am going back to it in my current home. Bright, cheerful, but not at all loud.

Chrissie said...

I love how you have stamped this flower off the edge... it's a great technique for a large image. I had forgotten about this colouring technique too, I shall have to make a note to try that again!
A lovely submission Karen, thanks for joining us and we hope you'll be back for our theme challenge next week!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Mandi said...

Your card is adorable, I loe that stamp!
I often use that technique as Im not a colourer!
Hope you will continue to come and see us and join in with the little community that is forming
mandi
"Less is More"!

Sheila in Cyprus said...

Clean, simple and gorgeous. Love Sheila (Cyprus)

Stamps and Paper said...

Karen love your card its stunning and stylish.


Anne

Sarn said...

Very stylish. Well done.
Hugs, Sandra

Gibmiss said...

Hello
Really gorgeous flower looks stunning....
hugs
sylvie
xxx

Suze Bain said...

I love the flower image and the colour is beautiful.

Jan said...

This is beautiful xx jan

Lynne said...

Fabulous Card, I really love this one.
As for your basement, I would go with warm bright colours, canary yellow or orange for me.
Lynne xxx

Aileen said...

The colour on the flower is so subtle - great technique.

Cazro said...

Fabulous reslt, i will be trying this in the future. Caz

Deborah Frings said...

Just wonderful!! Love the flower.

At Paula's Place said...

Love the card, I like your style on all the cards you have made that I have seen. As for the basement a cheery yellow is nice, a soft grey would work but then my basement is lilac because that is my favorite color.

Jose said...

Excellent card, and love the amount of white space you still have.
Jose